How to Detox After the Holidays
As the Holidays come to a close family and friends return home, the last remnants of decor are packed away and you finally have a second to stop and breathe again…The Holidays hopefully leave us with a new collection of beautiful memories to take with us into the next year. Unfortunately, they can often leave us with some other less enjoyable gifts: bloating, breakouts, weight gain, digestive issues and potentially a few grey hairs from all the stress.
Everything can just feel, well, icky. Your skin is freaking out, your insides are screaming at you, energy levels have dropped, brain feels foggy, you’re puffy all over, you haven’t been to the bathroom regularly (or maybe you haven’t been able to leave it). Many of us find ourselves desperately wanting to feel “clean” again.
There is a seemingly endless array of “detox” products or at-home remedies swearing to rid your body of everything that may be ailing it. We know it can be overwhelming trying to figure out which ones work or don’t work and which ones are even safe to do. Here are some of our favorite effective AND safe ways to help cleanse the body of toxins, heal any damage and replenish lost nutrients after any event or holiday season that leaves you feeling sluggish inside and out.
- Reduced Inflammation: Celery juice is packed with anti-inflammatory properties. “Celery is perfect for reversing inflammation, because it starves the pathogens, including unproductive bacteria and viruses such as Epstein-Barr (EBV), that create it.” One of the compounds present in celery juice, Luteolin, can actually reduce the production of a key cytokine in the inflammatory pathway by 90 percent.
- Toxin Elimination: “This magical juice is extremely hydrating and alkaline, making it effective for balancing the body’s pH level and neutralizing any acidity in the body. This, in turn, helps protect healthy cells and balance essential mineral levels, lowering the risk of heart disease, protecting bone density, reducing inflammation, boosting the immune system, and helping to maintain a healthy weight.”
- Gut Healing: Celery juice soothes the stomach reducing inflammation. The natural sodium allows your body to optimally absorb nutrients from the rest of the food you consume throughout the day and enzymes in celery juice actually raise levels of hydrochloric acid in the stomach which allows for easier digestion and prevents fermentation.
- Natural Laxative: The natural presence of sodium and potassium come together to create a natural diuretic.
- Try to drink at least 16 oz of pure, organic celery juice on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. Drinking celery juice mixed with other fruits or vegetables will lessen the benefits. Drinking it first thing in the morning will allow your body to absorb as much as possible and better digest any other food you will consume throughout the day.
2. Dandelion Root
- Antioxidants: Dandelions are rich in several types of antioxidants, providing healing to damaged cells.
- Gut Healing: Dandelion root contains several compounds that support the growth and maintenance of healthy gut bacteria throughout your stomach and intestinal tract.
- Liver Healing: Recent studies have found that Dandelion can protect the liver from oxidative stress as well as damage from common pharmaceautical drugs.
- Brain Fog/Memory: “Dandelion flowers are one of the best sources of the nutrient lecithin, which, among other functions, increases the amount of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine and helps improve memory.”
You can find Dandelion supplements you can take on a daily basis or find it in the form of teas. Replace a glass of water with a mug of dandelion tea and honey. Recommended dose is 500 to 2,000 mg of dandelion root in capsule or tea form on a daily basis. For short term use, take daily for two weeks.
3. Milk Thistle
- Antioxidant: Milk Thistle has antioxidant properties which are able to counteract and heal the many negative side effects of oxidants.
- Liver Healing: A compound in Milk Thistle is Silymarin which has been linked to repairing liver cells. As this liver is revived it is able to eliminate more toxins from the body.
- Inflammation Reduction: The compound Silibinin found in Milk Thistle blocks many of the pathways that can trigger or worsen inflammation in the body.
- Just as with Dandelion, you can find Milk Thistle supplements and teas. A standard dosage used in most studies is ~420 mg/day divided into 2 or 3 doses. Milk Thistle can have a very bitter taste so adding honey or other natural sweeteners may be necessary.
4. Extra Antioxidants
- Did you know that alcohol and many pharmaceutical drugs can kill antioxidants in the body paving the way for all kinds of havoc. Whether you will be attending a string of events or just casually enjoying a glass of wine at dinner, you will want to be replenishing your antioxidants after any amount of alcohol.
- Fresh sources like blueberries, artichokes, pinto beans, cranberries, raspberries, etc are always best, but of course you can look for supplements and/or teas as well to replenish lost antioxidants.
- Antioxidant rich foods should be a part of our daily life! Whether through fresh fruits and vegetables or through supplements. Oxidative stress has become such a huge part of our day to day life that we need to be consistently supplying our body with the nutrients to fight against oxidation.
5. Water, Water, Water
We know you know water is good for you, but its importance cannot be overstated. Without proper hydration, none of the body’s mechanisms can function properly. After a night out drinking or a heavy dinner full of stomach-irritating foods, be sure to end the night with several glasses of water/tea and drink as much as possible in the days to follow.
6. Sauna (Dry or Infrared)
- Toxin Elimination: It has long been known that sweating is one of the best ways to eliminate toxins stored in the body. Daily sauna sweating can help detoxify your body as it rids itself of accumulated highly toxic metals (lead, mercury, nickel, and cadmium) as well as alcohol, nicotine, sulfuric acid, and other organic and inorganic compounds.
- Reduced Inflammation: As your core temperature rises, your body kicks into gear to begin producing enough sweat to cool the body back down. Your heart begins to work harder to increase circulation throughout the body. This increased blood flow flushes out even more toxins and reduces inflammation throughout the body.
- Higher Energy Levels: Rinsing these toxins from your body and then providing fresh blood throughout can help boost energy levels again and renew vibrance in the skin.
- While even just on infrared sauna session can be incredibly helpful in cleaning the body of accumulated toxins, try going everyday for a week or even every other day to really boost the detox and healing process.
- NOTE: Standard saunas are able to heat the body to a degree, but infrared saunas penetrate much deeper into the body actually raising your core temperature and resulting in the cascade of amazing benefits.
These are just a few ways to help detox the body, cleanse and heal the digestive tract and provide much needed nutrients. If you have any other tips and tricks to detoxing we would love to hear them! If you give any of these a try leave a comment here or on any of our other social media accounts and let us know how they worked out for you!
Conscious Lifestyle Mag